Monday, April 14, 2008

John Muir Marathon Recap

Now that I'm recovered from last weekend's marathon I want to share some photos from the race.

The race starts on the beach, just a few feet from the Pacific Ocean.



Turning around, this is the view from the start line, over the beach, and up into the mountains where we would run the rest of the race.



We ran a few hundred feet on a side street to get to the trails, and the rest of the race was off-road. We started on the famous Dipsea Trail and ran through Golden Gate Park, the John Muir Woods, and Mount Tamalpais Park.



The sun was HOT and the trails were STEEP!



Within ten minutes this was the view from the trail back to the beach where we started.



Once we got into the woods it was much cooler and offered nice shade. Running through the redwoods, across streams, and by waterfalls was an amazing experience.



I've run a lot of interesting marathons, but this is the first marathon I've done that included a LADDER on the course!



Coming down the last few miles of trails I stumbled upon this heart-warming sign.



The hills and heat were tough on me, but it was a great experience. Here's one of my favorite shots from the day which is a nice panoramic shot o the trail on the side of the mountains overlooking the ocean. You can see the trail on my left and right cutting across the ridge. Click the thumbnail below for a larger, interactive version in a new window.

8 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Spratt said...

Beautiful pictures!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger The Walmer Family said...

Amazing shots! Even though it was hot, this race looks like it was better organized than Dan's nightmare LA Marathon experience!

Did you know Dan and his dad, Travis, and Leslie's husband are all doing the relay marathon thing in Oklahoma City at the end of this month?

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger andy cornett said...

Adam - dumb moron question here, but how do you get the pics on the route? do you carry some really small camera with you? that route looks amazing ...

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Adam Pratt said...

Yeah, I carry a tiny Canon digital camera in my Camelbak. I use the camera on the more scenic "adventure" races so I can capture the memories. I'm running another marathon his weekend @ Nashville and I'm hoping to go faster than last week, so I'll be running sans camera this go around!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Laura Taucher said...

It's fun to run some of the more popular, larger marathons. But I think you've found the right way to do your 50 states...marathons that are memorable. Congratulations on another fine run!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger The Walmer Family said...

Check out our blog for an OKC marathon update. The Walmer men did well! They're already talking about next year! I think this race would be good for a Bechtel reunion! Brad is probably 2 hours from OKC and the others could probably get there easily on Southwest.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Scott Meteer said...

I'm halfway in your first picture on the beach. I'm wearing white. Do you know if there's still any professional race photos around? I was 18 at the time and didn't fully appreciate having pictures of the event.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Adam Pratt said...

I actually don't remember any photographers on the course for this small race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home