Friday, July 27, 2007

Ultramarathon Eve

It's finally here, my first ultramarathon: the Ultimate XC Challenge! On Thursday, our entire family flew with our friend Mark Brucato from Chicago to New York. Today, Friday, my dad drove Mark and me up to the tippy-top of Vermont: Jay Peak. We removed the middle seats of the minivan and Mark and I rode in style in the far back seats.



As we got closer and closer the mountains seemed to get bigger and bigger. We finally pulled around a bend in the road and set our sights on the peak we'll climb tomorrow morning and one of the highest peaks in Vermont: Jay Peak, 3,968 feet.



After we got checked into our hotel we walked out the back of the building to behold the peak right in our back yard. It looks REALLY big. I'm not sure if the course marker at the base of the peak indicates forward or straight up!



When we drove back into town to pick up our race packets, we were welcomed by an EMS truck. An ominous sign?



Before we picked up our packets we had to sign a LONG waiver. The "death" part always gets your attention.



Of course, we signed it anyway.



After signing our lives away, we found a nice pasta dinner at a local restaurant (thanks for treating, Dad). While we waited to be seated I shot this quick panorama off the front deck of the restaurant. Click the small image below for a larger view. It's really beautiful country and I can't wait to run through it with my buddy, Mark.



More updates tomorrow afternoon, after the race....

3 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Adam, Mark and Pete,

Glad you made it safely to Vermont. We enjoyed the pictures, but not the "death" part! Can't wait to hear how your adventure together goes! Pete, have a good round of golf while you wait for these crazy guys to finish!

Love,
Cindy and Nan

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Ben Brezina said...

Pratt,
Hope you have a great race! Praying for your health and sanity today!
Brezina

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger linda brucato said...

Hi Adam,

I hope you know that you, every other runner, and especially Mark were in my prayers yesterday. Praise God for no injuries and that you both were able to finish the race. After seeing the photos I don't think I will be so quick to encourage my son to join you next year. Start looking for another running buddy!

Mark's mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home