Monday, June 10, 2013

I'll never do this again!


So last summer I ran my first 100-mile ultramarathon and as my family and friends ran the last mile with me I told them I'd never do this again. It was just too hard and I was too tired. My wife Cindy assured me I could make that decision later but I was adamant...never again...until I found this: http://www.midwestslam.com.

I was intrigued...could I really run four 100-mile ultramarathons in one summer, a 14-week span? I did a bit of research and discovered that more than 600 people summited Mt. Everest in 2012. By comparison, only 12 people completed the Midwest Grand Slam of Ultrarunning in 2012. Granted, Everest is a more popular target, but I've always been intrigued by really hard an obscure challenges.

I started doing the math, mapping out a training plan, and recruiting crew and pacers to help me through this challenge.

I signed up and I'm in...

2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger ~Jess said...

Any chance you would be willing to share what your training plan looked like? Thanks! And awesome job on completing the Grand Slam!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Adam Pratt said...

Sure thing, here's how I trained this year: http://www.adampratt.com//transfer/hallucination100_plan.pdf

You'll notice that there's nothing written for June-July because I just made it up week to week. I rested, I recovered, and I ran as I wanted to. There were some 20-30 mile training runs in there, but also lots of rest. Probably never more than 50 miles per week. Then I hit it hard at the end of the summer to ramp up for a 100-mile PR. Hope that helps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home